Tuesday, April 26, 2016

April 25, 2016 - Better and Better

Each week just keeps getting better, and it's hard to explain. I just keep growing and changing and learning how to become closer to the spirit. I'm definitely still learning all the time.

Just to start off I don't have a lot of time to email this week.  Our P-Day is actually on Wednesday because we're going to the temple, which is so exciting!! They gave us just a short time to email home this week so this is probably going to be shorter than normal, and I forgot my camera so, sadly, no pics. 
 
Elder Spackman and Elder Miles
Tuesday was Elder Spackman's B-Day and for dinner a member, Sister Wilson, had us over for dinner and some cake and ice cream. She's also the member that is coming with us to teach Refugio and Marisol (so they should be in that pic that she sent home). The lessons with Refugio and Marisol are going well. Marisol is really good about praying a lot and asking about what she needs to do next, about baptism and such. We're still trying to get Refugio going but he's willing to pray in front of us, which is definitely something good. They keep progressing but just slowly, it seems to be a two steps forward, one step back kinda thing. 

We also got to teach Ricardo a couple times this week. He's such an awesome guy and he's really consistent about coming to church (it helps his wife is one of the strongest members ever), but he just says he's not ready for baptism. His whole family is super catholic and that is a big change for a lot of Hispanics. Catholicism is more of a way of life for them. He'll get there, it's just going to take a lot of patience and taking things slowly. 
Elder Spackmans' birthday celebration.  Elder Miles says that Rufugio and Marisol
are in this picture - but not sure which ones they are.

Hinocencio just keeps plugging along. He's been to church like five times now but he's still struggling to get over his drinking problem. Our next lesson with him we're going to make a plan with him and set some goals. He could be a really strong member and he's been trying so hard to overcome his challenges but it's definitely going to take some time. 

Yesterday I had to give the closing prayer for Sacrament in Spanish. I was pretty nervous but I gave a pretty good prayer. It was the first time I'd prayed in front of that many people in Spanish and I also found out that on the 22nd of May I will get to give a talk in Spanish. I'm pretty excited for that opportunity but I am also going to be speaking last, so I could either have to talk for 5 minutes or twenty. We'll see how it goes but it should be good. 

One thing that I learned this week that I thought was really cool is something about desires. There's a talk titled "The Fourth Missionary" that is super good. There was a quote from this that I really liked.  It says "The good you do, will do you no good, if your heart is not right." I've been thinking a lot about how this pertains to missionary work, and to just life in general. There are a lot of missionaries and members that do the right thing but because their heart isn't in it they don't grow. So with missionary work and with life in general we need to learn how to change our desires and help them come in line with our Father's desires and as we do this, as we turn our life over to him, we will be able to grow so much more and do so much more good. 

Que tengan buen dia! (Have a good day!)
-- 
Elder Miles

Washington Yakima Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment