Wednesday, January 27, 2016

January 26, 2016 - Jammed Packed Week

This week was insanity. We had so much going on if I wrote it all down I'd have to send like 10 emails. I want to start by saying that the Spirit is such a real and powerful thing, and without it there would be no way missionaries could convert people. 

At the Mexico City Temple
Last Wednesday we had a worldwide broadcast just for missionaries. I dunno if you heard about that but it was all on how to use to Spirit as we are teaching. They broadcasted it from Provo and I tried to look for friends in the audience but couldn´t see any. It was such an awesome and powerful broadcast. At one point I got an impression from the spirit that basically said "A missionary is measured by how diligent he is at doing all he can to bring the Spirit unto the hearts of the investigators, he is not measured in baptisms." It went something like that. I don´t have my notes with me right now so I don't really remember exactly what I wrote but it has the same idea. Then Wednesday just picked up with craziness. Shortly after the broadcast we ran into our Branch President on campus, his name is Presidente Machado, he´s a great guy, but anyways, he tells us he wants to meet with us and takes us into a classroom and boom - he makes Elder Allsop and I the new Zone Leaders. Completely unexpected. We´d been there for just over a week and we hardly know the language, yet he calls us as Zone Leaders. It was crazy, and ever since we´ve been doing our best to help the Zone progress and become unified. I really love the Zone - the people in it are awesome. 

On Thursday we taught Louis our last lesson. It was kinda sad, even though it was just our teacher pretending. I learned a lot about how when the Spirit prompts you to say something you better say it. I really enjoy teaching people and I can't wait to be out in the field. Then that night we had our first service project and it turns out that we get to welcome all the new missionaries. It was super cool and I recognized several kids from Lone Peak, hopefully Thursday I´ll get the chance to see Jake (Elder Clements). 

Elder Miles' Zone
Friday was a little bit of a rough patch. I got kinda frustrated with the language and the pace I was learning at. I think to be honest I was expecting too much out of myself. The worst part was they about quadrupled the amount of stuff they wanted us to learn. It was insane but I keep praying for strength and support in learning the language and it has certainly helped. 

I found a really awesome scripture in Alma on Saturday. It´s Alma 36 verse 3. It´s an amazing scripture and I highly recommend that everyone go read it. Kind of a funny moment happened Saturday night. Each Saturday the city around us goes crazy, and last Saturday night they were playing the Macarena, so we kinda had our own little party. The funny part was both Elder Allsop and I had the thought to email about it, but we had no idea how to spell Macarena, so I hope it´s right. The spell checker line isn't there so I hope its right.


At the Temple

Sunday was another super powerful day in the Spirit. We had the chance to take the Comedor (Cafeteria) the sacrament. It was really neat and I got the chance to say the prayer in Spanish for the first time. I had to go a little slow but it was really neat and definitely had a cool Spirit to it. 

Monday we got two new investigators. The first is Alejandro and the other is Patricia. Both are our teachers - Hermano Vargas and Hermana (sorry it's something weird I'll figure it out and report next week). The lessons went great and the spirit was really neat. In the first lesson I got this huge prompting to ask Alejandro what he was hoping to gain from our lessons and I think this really helped to build trust. 

Playing cards
Today we got the chance to go to the Mexico Temple. It was incredible!!! The temple looks like an ancient Aztec or Mayan temple and it's extremely beautiful. Might just be my favorite temple. It took us about 30 minutes to get there. The city was crazy, we saw all sorts of weird things. There was someone driving a construction backhoe on the freeway, there were dudes selling stuff in the roads, and last was three guys playing cards in the back of a dump truck. It was all super funny, Elder Allsop and I were getting a kick out of it. Anyway the temple was awesome. We had to use headphones so we could listen in English but it was really neat to get the chance to speak Spanish at the end.

View of the city
Let´s see a few other random things. We´ve now had three fires on the mountains surrounding the campus. Not sure how they got started and they don't ever last long but it´s been weird. The CCM sits in a bowl like valley that's completely surrounded by mountains. It's super cool but honestly not very pretty. Everything is pretty dry and lifeless. I guess that´s just because of the winter. Let´s see - there are 4 Hermanas and 3 Elders in my District, and in my Zone we have 9 Elders and 12 Hermanas, but we get a fourth district on Thursday so we'll see how many more we get.

Our days are basically wake up, do personal study, go to breakfast and then gym. At 9:45 we start a three hour block of class, have lunch and then two more hours of language study. Then starting at 3:15 we have three more hours of class. Then dinner, after dinner we do another two hours of language study. Everything is completely packed in there. We barely have time to eat meals. I´m really getting to know my companions well. Elder Allsop and I get along super well. We seem to like just about all of the same things, and Elder Klossner is hilarious - I´m always laughing around him.



Well I believe that´s everything.
Love you all!
Hasta luego!!

-- 
Elder Miles
Washington Yakima Mission


No comments:

Post a Comment